Sunday 5 April 2015

"MOST OF THE TOYS I POSSESSED WERE MUSIC INSTRUMENTS"

Here goes a new article about a musician. A true story and journey towards music career in his life. This is what he shared when I interviewed him.

“From my youngest days till today I have been passionate about music. In fact it triggers my soul and it is one of my best hobbies I enjoy at my leisure.
 The influence of music can be traced from my childhood. Goa is known for music. So as a kid I remember tapping my feet to the rhythm and enjoying the music and dance at every occasion. I was passionate of lead guitar and I wanted to learn it.  Most of the toys I possessed were music instruments and I think I developed my interests from it. At the age of 11 I joined music classes and took private lesson under Maestro Agust de Panchwadi. Luckily without my knowledge my family gifted me violin on my birthday and I tried to explore it by practicing and that was the time I fell in love with my fiddle.  One observation I made that the playing of violin matures the relationship between the instrument and the player increases. Since I picked up violin quickly I got a chance to play in the choirs for feast and I accompanied my friends during functions and thus my musical journey started.
Alfi Dcruz with his instrument

 At an early age I joined seminary and the exposure level decreased, but I continued with other music teachers. When I was doing my philosophy my music teacher Rev. Fr. Romeo Monteiro identified my talent and prepared me for grades.  Thus I answered my 5th grade but I got a chance to play concert pieces which were quite higher than my grades. Due to my college studies I could not do justice for my music although I got many opportunities to show my talent and I made good use of them.  I have played in most of the churches for different occasion’s maybe weddings, ordinations, feast etc.  Then I have been part of Mando competition and Carol singing which takes place annually in Goa. I am a member of St. Cecilia choir where I sing as well as play music. In 2012 I got a chance to perform in Delhi on the occasion of 7th anniversary of the pontificate of his Holiness Pope Benedict ΧVΙ, there was a solemn mass and then for the cultural at Grand Hayat.

I consider as my comparison and I tried to merge it with other instruments and improvise the music so it sooths for every genre.  As soon as I finish with my education I will take up music seriously and finish my grades which I always wanted to and explore wind experiments and take up saxophone. Moreover I want to perform at international level and for that I have to take music seriously.”
Alfi Dctuz


He also encouraged people to explore their talent and never compromise with them because they are the stepping stone to your success. 

2 comments:

  1. I have listened to Alfi with his violin. Enjoyed his music in the choir. Cheers and keep up the good work Alfi !!!

    ReplyDelete