Tuesday 7 April 2015

I was so much addicted to cupcakes and coincidently I started following up An American Television Sitcom '2 Broke gals', Where they portray 2 girls save money to start their own cupcake business. This inspired me a lot.

Dhanya
It’s time to write an article about a baker after blogging various other passionate people and their hard work. Here goes the story of Dhanya who set her career in baking. This is what she shared when we had a conversation.

“I remember my mum hospitalized due to Pneumonia when I was in 2nd degree, I had to take leave n go home to look after my grandparents for a week in mum's absence. I did not know much of cooking  except omelets, coffee and rice. It’s when the responsibility knocks down on me and I started cooking. From then on, I always enjoyed cooking. After graduation I shifted to Bangalore along with my younger brother who is pursuing his 2nd year degree now. Homemade is happiness they say and I realized it gradually and took up cooking seriously and in fact enjoyed it the most.  There is a cupcake cafe in St Mark’s road. And my office was just 100 mts away from it and I was almost a regular customer. I had no pain in paying 70 bucks per cupcake. It was a daily routine after work I used to walk to the cafe buy cupcakes for myself and my brother and then head home. I never missed the cupcakes even in the worst rainy days.

 Things changed once I switched my job. It was a different area and there wasn’t a single place around where I could buy cupcakes. I would request my friends passing by MG road on work to buy me cupcakes. You can call it an addiction. As a result of now I was so much addicted to cupcakes and coincidentally I started following up An American Television Sitcom '2 Broke gals',  Where they  portray 2 girls  save money to start their own cupcake business. This inspired me a lot. To satisfy my craving I started with baking


Initially I started with chocolates for my family and friends and even took a class on that. By now dark chocolate which I always hated have been my favorites... I mostly started with soft centered chocolates, chocolate truffles and Liqueur chocolates.





Meanwhile I started watching lots of Cake baking videos on YouTube. I started with cakes and later on cupcakes. Same like chocolates I used to bake cupcakes only to my family and friends, I have a very good bunch of friends who have always appreciated my work in fact they even point out my flaws which has helped me for better. There are people who laughed at me when I told them I want to take up homemade chocolates and cupcake business. Nothing worried me because Cooking is an art and one should follow their dreams and not others. I did not want to kill my passion and dreams to the society. I did not want my talent to be showcased only in the limits of my kitchen instead wanted to have my own identity. I have my family who believed in me &friends who always stood by my side in both my ups and downs. Today I manage my house, business and my job.

Cup Cakes by Dhanya

I love gardening and I am nature lover so I took nature as my theme and did the frosting themed flowers as they can mesmerize even the dead they say.

I do take up orders for all occasions and have tied up with few cafés where I deliver Cupcakes on daily basis and shortly will tie up with few colleges so that I can market my cupcakes in their canteens.

I am HR by profession and by next year I will quit my job and take up baking as a full time profession. I will have my own logo and website by the end of May. And wish to see my brand shine high someday.  And want to be remembered for my cupcakes”.


As I heard her story, I was amazed her love and passion for baking. And I tell you her cookies are really amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment